Me!

Me!
Me!

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Winnie the Pooh



My kids and I love to go to the movies, so I took them to see the new Winnie the Pooh film. We love reading Winnie the Pooh books but had never seen a Pooh movie, so we were excited to see Pooh and his friends in action. We arrived early to get good seats, and settled in.

To my surprise, there were only about 18 kids in the theater; 10 kids under 7 years of age, 7 teenagers sitting in a group and one 9-year-old boy.

My kids really loved the short film before the main feature and I had fun watching too, but, once the Pooh film began, they didn't seem as engaged or interested. My kids have gone to see quite a few films like "Toy Story 3", "Tangled", and even the documentary "Babies" - where there were no speaking parts, and they really seemed more intrigued by those films than by the Pooh movie.

Pooh's play on words used by the characters and the way words were shown as part of a book on the screen were adorable. My kids however didn't seem to get the movie or the storyline. They didn't laugh a single time and they weren't the only ones.

The only people I heard laughing at all the right moments were the 9-year-old boy and his mom. I could hear the boy repeating the jokes and laughing at what the characters were doing. I heard some parents laugh a few times and I laughed a few times too.

The movie was really slow and I actually felt sleepy for the first time in my life while in a movie theater! Rotten Tomatoes gave the film a 90% but I think young children would give it a much lower score.

Despite its slow pace, Pooh was a really cute movie but not for toddlers. I think kids between 8 and 12 would probably really like the it and be able to pick up on silly misspellings and on the message being conveyed. If, like me, your children are on the younger end of the spectrum, I'd save my money for another movie theater experience.






No comments:

Post a Comment